How to Choose the Right EV Charger for Your Washington, DC, Home
Installing an at-home charger for your electric vehicle helps you enjoy convenience like never before. You can say goodbye to hunting for public stations, save money on charging costs and have peace of mind knowing your car is ready to go wherever you are.
Before you schedule installation, it's important to understand your options to make the right decision for your home. Keep reading to learn more about what to consider when choosing a residential EV charger for your Washington, DC, home!
Benefits of Installing a Residential EV Charger
Installing an EV charger for your home is one of the fastest ways to increase property value and make life easier. You already charge other electronic devices at home - why not charge your car too?
With a home EV charger, you can enjoy:
- Accessibility & Convenience - After a long day, the last thing you want to do is find a public station and wait for your car to charge. With an EV charger at home, you can leave your car to charge while you go about your day. Charge overnight to avoid downtime and know your car is fully charged for the day.
- Smart Features & Energy Savings - Smart charging features can send notifications straight to your phone, schedule charges and even connect to Wi-Fi. For the greatest energy savings, utilize smart features to schedule charges when electric rates aren't peaking.
- Rebates, Incentives & Tax Credits - Washington, D.C., Virginia and Maryland residents can take advantage of many financial incentives to reduce upfront EV charger costs. Take advantage of the available rebates and tax credits to save on your investment and promote clean transportation initiatives.
Choosing the Right Charger for Your Car
Finding the right EV charger for your home starts with determining the needs of your car. Compatibility will help you narrow down the options to ensure you have the best fit for your car. From there, consider how you plan to use the charger and what you'd like to get out of it.
Electric vehicle factors to consider when choosing a charger:
- Charging Speed & Power - EV chargers come in 3 levels. With the purchase of an EV should come a level 1 charging cord with basic features. Level 1 chargers may take up to 20 hours to reach a full charge. Level 2 chargers can cut that time down to around 4 hours and are a popular choice for at-home charging. Level 3 chargers are most commonly used at commercial properties.
- Compatibility - All electric vehicles are compatible with level 1 and level 2 chargers, as they use a standard a standard plug for charging. Level 3 chargers are usually the fastest charging option but are not compatible with every electric vehicle. Teslas sometimes have specific charging requirements that are important to consider with compatibility.
- Features & Expectations - When choosing a charger, consider what your expectations are. Do you want maximum convenience with all the smart features? Is your main goal to save on energy costs? With many options to choose from, you won't have to compromise.
Property Factors to Consider When Choosing an EV Charger
Don't forget to consider how your EV charger will work with your home, as well. Home EV chargers impact electrical demand and need to be installed in a garage, driveway or other private car storage. Your professional installer will help prep your home and ensure everything is up to code.
What to consider when choosing an EV charger for your home:
- Installation & Costs - Your home and parking layout will determine the best place to install the charger. Each installation is unique and depends on how close the car can be to the power source. You may consider how extensive the installation project will be and consult an expert for an estimate.
- Outdoor Factors - If your EV charger is installed outside, it is more susceptible to damage from the elements and should be covered during inclement weather. Choose a charger with a high durability rating to ensure it can hold up against storms.
- Electrical Requirements - Adding an EV charger will increase the electrical demand in your home. An electrician will need to inspect the current setup to determine if your home will be able to accommodate the workload. They may recommend upgrading your electrical panel for safety and reliability.
Drive Into the Future of EV Charging With Precise Building Services
Learning about your EV charging options will help you make the right choice for your car, home and budget. Reading manufacturer recommendations and user reviews is a great way to see how different chargers could work for your home.
When you're ready to start the installation process, a professional will work with you to ensure your home and car are prepped for the new equipment. They will be able to answer any questions and give you peace of mind that you have the right investment for your unique needs.
Precise Building Services is here to help you take advantage of at-home electric vehicle charging in the Washington, DC area! Our technicians will take care of everything, from initial planning to installation. We ensure your new charging system is up to code and will also help secure any permits needed for work in your area.